Beetroot Extract – Superfood with all round benefits
Its growing interest as a superfood is due to its active ingredients that pose health benefits. Beetroot is a good source of nitrates, which when reduced to nitric oxide (NO) by the body produces the health benefits associated with it. Nitric oxide has been shown to be involved in many endothelium (inner lining of blood vessels) functions and a depletion of nitric oxide as seen with aging, is the principal cause of endothelial dysfunction, which is the primary cause for several cardiovascular disorders, including increased blood pressure and atherosclerosis (1). Nitric oxide acts by widening blood vessels, allowing efficient flow of blood in the arteries, reducingoxidative damage of the blood vessels. Research has shown that the nitrate in beetroot may be beneficial in helping to maintain normal blood pressure (2).
Beetroot is also a rich source of phytochemical compounds and abundant in the highly bioactive pigments called betalains, shown to poses high antioxidant properties. Members of the betalain family are responsible for the vibrant colour of beetroots.
Beetroot has also shown to reduce VO2 (maximum volume of oxygen needed) during submaximal exercise and improved time-trial performance in trained cyclists (3) and improved running performance in healthy adults (4). This is due the vasodilatation (widening) of the blood vessel walls, causing less need for oxygen consumption by muscle.
1) Clifford et al. (2015) The potential benefits of red beetroot supplementation in health and disease. Nutrients, 7, 2801-2822.
2) Siervo, M. et al. (2013). Inorganic Nitrate and Beetroot Juice Supplementation Reduces Blood Pressure in Adult: A Systematic Review and Meta-Analysis. American Society for Nutrition, (818-826).
3) Cermark, N. et al. (2012). Nitrate Supplementation’s Improvement of 10-km Time-Trial Performance in Trained Cyclists. International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism, 22, 64-71
4) Murphy, M. et al (2012). Whole Beetroot Consumption Acutely Improves Running Performance. Journal of the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics, 112, 4, 548-552
HealthAid® Beetroot Extract provides a high amount of beetroot extract (750mg) per capsule, with the added benefits of Vitamin B12 to contribute to normal energy-yielding metabolism, red blood cell formation and helps with the reduction of tiredness and fatigue
What is HealthAid Beetroot Extract for?
- May help maintain normal blood pressure
- Helps with the healthy function of blood vessels and may help maintain normal blood circulation
- Helps protect cells from oxidative damage
- May improve memory function and improve concentration
- Helps improve endurance sports performance
Who may benefit from HealthAid Beetroot Extract?
- People who want maintain a healthy heart
- People wanting to improve memory function and be more alert
- People going to the gym, running, cycling and athletes
- People living a stressful and demanding lifestyle
Daily recommended intake for Beetroot Extract:
Adults, two capsules daily. Do not exceed recommended daily intake unless advised by a suitably qualified person.
** Free From Sugar, Salt, Gluten, Yeast, Lactose, Wheat, Soya, Dairy, Artificial Colours, Preservatives & Flavourings
** Food Supplements should not be used as a substitute for a varied diet
Standard Recorded delivery £3.99 or Free Delivery on orders over £30 (to the UK mainland only) Delivery within 3 - 5 working days.
UK & Mainland Consumers:
Standard Recorded delivery is £3.99. Delivery leads time is estimated 3 - 5 working days.
Standard Recorded delivery is £15. Delivery leads time is estimated 7-10 working days.
Standard delivery is £20.00. Delivery leads time is estimated 10-15 working days.